Saturday, July 30, 2011

Healthy

At M's 9 month appt, she got weighed, measured, poked, prodded and had her hemoglobin checked.

Note: When the inexperienced nurse says "this won't hurt, babies never cry taking blood from the heel", they're wrong. My child is NOT a crier and definitely had a few tears. Stupid inexperienced nurse!

A few hours after the appt, I got a call from the nurse that M's iron levels were low. They should be no lower than a 10 and she was at an 8.9.

Cue panic fear anger at myself for letting this happen the research. Iron levels can be low due to a variety of things. Namely? A child was just sick and then their iron levels were checked.

Hello? Anyone listening at the doctors office? M had been sick (the sickest she'd been ever, with a fever!) two weeks before her blood was drawn.

Yet now I had to start giving her iron drops. Blah.

I called the doc's office, explaining that M had just been sick and that I was positivethat's why M's levels were low.

The on call nurse told me that if I was still bf'ing, I wouldn't have this issue. I was also told to give the drops and I wasn't feeding my child the right foods, apparently.

Isn't that nice? Lovely, I tell you.

I told the doc I'm not okay with just forcing medicine down my child's throat. So I said I'd give m half the recommended dose and change her diet. (because there is just SO. MUCH. you can change about a 10 month old's diet.

Lo and behold, at M's one month checkup, her iron levels were above a 12!! (take that stupid nurse!)

I started giving her oatmeal with veggies every morning and every meal consisted of high iron foods. (sweet potatoes, turkey, peas, pears, etc.)

M is growing and thriving and is such a happy baby! She still gets half the dose of iron for another two months.

And although I initially felt like I failed M because her iron was low, I know I've done as best I can to keep her healthy. And I'm convinced her low iron was from being sick and not due to lack of proper diet, as the nurse suggested. :) (the doc apologized for the remarks the nurse made!)

I hope you're enjoying your Saturday!

xo

1 comments:

  1. I'm sorry the nurse was so difficult! What mean things she said!

    ReplyDelete



Growing, Laughing, and Loving in Life

Wife, Momma, Family person, HS Teacher, Baker, Crafter, Half-Marathoner

Blog Archives


Fabulous Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs

Growing, Laughing and Loving in Life...

One woman's journey into Motherhood, Domesticity and Teaching with occasional ramblings on food, family and this beautiful life.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved