So, I threw my hair up in a bun, put on my ODU hoodie, some comfy worn-in jeans, got the toddler dressed in one of her always cute outfits, and off we went.
We stopped by a few stores and then wound up at a humongous retail store that's known internationally. Yay shopping!
I'm pushing M along in the stroller, looking for a new foundation, when I hear a soft voice.
"You're pretty! Want me to put some makeup on you?"
I don't think anything of it, so I keep looking around.
Then I hear more.
"Ma'am? You need a makeover. You have so much potential!"
She was talking to me.
A makeover.
I smiled and looked down at M, who smiled back at me.
I said, "Yeah, today is a homely/comfy day!" and softly laughed to ease the awkwardness.
Really? A homely day? What does that even mean?
The makeup lady insisted that I let her do my makeup, that I don't even buy anything. She just wanted to make me look "pretty".
I said we're in a rush and scurried along.
I'm not offended by the comments. I mean, I have potential, isn't that enough? ;)
But honestly? I'm okay with not putting on makeup everyday and being comfortable enough in my own skin to wear a hoodie and jeans out on a rainy day.
I want my daughter to know she's beautiful without makeup, without having to dress up. And even if I only have "potential", according to department store makeup lady, I have a daughter I need to look out for.
So, M and my homely looking self moved along and had a fantastic rest of the day.
And I don't think I'll be visiting that department store again soon.


WOW....I never wear makeup shopping...usually IM in workout clothes....people suck.
ReplyDeleteThat is so annoying. I almost always wear hoodies and usually yoga pants when I am out shopping/running errands. She probably didn't even realize how rude she was being.
ReplyDeleteI'm pissed off FOR you. I cannot believe she said those things. I'm totally rocking a long sleeved t-shirt and Longwood University sweatpants to the post office in a few... :)
ReplyDeleteOkay... I'll play devils advocate. I think you can take this two ways. You can be offended that she called you out for not wearing makeup. But it also sounds like she was trying to be nice (trying being the operative word). As in: "you are beautiful and I see you have an adorable, well-dressed toddler so you probably have no time for yourself, and I would love to give you a makeover and help you feel fabulous!" From what you said, it sounds like she was trying to be nice, but not necessarily being tactful about it. Possible?
ReplyDeleteI think you are a super mom and if you don't want to wear makeup, you shouldn't have to. But I don't know that I'd stop shopping at the store over this... Just my two cents. :)