X-rays were taken. I got to wear fancy shoes.

My bones looked fine. The doc, who's a friend of my parents, grabbed my knee.
Umm, ouch. He pushed his fingers in my kneecap and I shot backwards in my seat. I guess we've further established my knee hurts!
The doctor said I either have a bone bruise (which I know it's not) from falling onto the stroller, or my it band (which I know it's not because my upper leg muscles aren't hurting at all.)
Before the appointment, I did what any normal person does when they want to be told they'll die in less than 2 hours from some untreatable disease - I consulted Dr. Google.
I read a lot and realized I may have Patella Tendonitis. It most closely describes what my symptoms are.
The problem? My first half marathon is in 15 days. Doc gave me an anti-inflammatory and hubs, M & I went out and got me fitted for new running shoes. (side note: why are they SO expensive!?)
We went along the Potomac. It was beautiful out. Just perfect. Hubs and M played around. I was just glad to have them as a distraction.



How cute are these two? Ahh. I love them so.
Anyway. I'm going to try to do 5 miles on Sunday and see how my knee holds up.
The doctor told me to walk, not run. How do you tell a runner that and expect them to listen?
He said with my injury/pain level, people usually aren't able to run a half/marathon two weeks later.
I felt so sad, and my eyes welled up when he said that. I looked at hubs and regained my composure. M smiled at me and walked over and hugged me.
I needed them there.
I think the severity of the situation will hit when I try to run this weekend and I won't be able to. I guess I'm hoping for a miracle.
It's absolutely amazing how something I've busted my ass for, for the past three months, a goal and dream of mine, can be shattered in a matter of seconds.
Ironically, on our way home, we say this at a stop light. Sometimes, you just need a smile.

{sorry for cursing. just being real.}


So sorry girl. I know you have worked so hard to train. You may want to go to a physical therapist and have them give you their opinion. I have had a lot of knee probs over the years and the last time it hurt the doctor couldn't figure out what was wrong, thought it was a bruise from falling so he just sent me to PT. The therapist ended up diagnosing me with runner's knee. I used KT tape and did some exercises to strengthen it and it helped. I recently hurt my knee exercising about 5 weeks ago and started using the KT tape again and it is helping. I was able to run last night. It's sore today, but at least I made it through my run.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry the results weren't what you were hoping, but you have to take of yourself for your future goals too. You'll have many other opportunities, but I know what you mean.
ReplyDeleteHang in there! Good luck Sunday. Keep us posted.
You never called me! I am so so sorry about this! I hope it goes better than you think. If you can't run, don't beat yourself up about it! Just running is an accomplishment and I am so proud of you!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry, lady! I know exactly what it is like to be injured and have to sit out - it's happened twice to me. Have you tried replacing running with cross-training, like spinning or the elliptical? You can still maintain fitness and see what happens after few days! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteYou poor thing! I'm catching up on blogs and so sad to hear this. Hope you are feeling much, much better!
ReplyDelete