I knew it was a heavy post and that some people may not be comfortable reading it. Hence why there was a disclaimer at the top of the post.
But I also recognized that the Holocaust is something that can't be forgotten. It can't be ushered into the past of civilization, to be left as a slight blip in human history.
It must remain a forefront subject in our collective history, so that these past errors are not repeated. As a History teacher, you learn that history does in fact, repeat itself. Which, in relation to the Holocaust, is a mighty scary thing.
I want my Grandma Debbie's, my Grandpa's, the innocent victims in my family, and all of the other countless innocent victims of the Holocaust to have a name. To have a story. To not just be a number in the Holocaust, of how many people perished.
I received a few emails, instead of comments, supporting my post yesterday, saying it was so important to remind others of devastating times, so that we can learn something.
I truly appreciate the feedback.
Then today, I noticed I lost a handful of followers, something I've never experienced after a specific post.
I mention this "followers loss", not because I care about numbers, because I assure you, I do not. But rather, why does a post about the Holocaust make some want to unfollow an entire blog? Was I offensive? Was I too honest and raw? Did the person see some truth in themselves as a victim? What made them want to leave my little corner of the interwebs, based on a post about my Grandma Debbie not being a victim?
I write this out of concern for fellow bloggers, not out of concern for readership numbers.
I write for myself. I write from my heart. I write about what brings my mind peace and soul happiness.
This is me, friends. And, as much as I want to say, "I'm sorry if I offended you with yesterday's post!", I will do no.such.thing.
I will not apologize for my writing.
If you can't stick with me through the serious and heavy posts, you don't deserve my funny and light-hearted posts.
xo


Don't ever apologize for your writing! This is your little space, and you spoke about something that is important to you.
ReplyDeleteYesterday's post was super touching and I dont really know why it would cause anyone to unfollow. If anything, it made me want to read more!
ReplyDeleteYes, don't ever apologize for what you write. This is for you and we are just here to read about your journey. It's too bad that you lost some followers for writing about something so heartfelt. It's nothing I would ever unfollow about;-)
ReplyDeletewow. That's just sad. I find myself just not getting people. I am glad you stated your feelings w/class and dignity today...if you had apologized, I would be much less impressed;)
ReplyDeleteyou already know I love you and adore all your posts.
ReplyDeleteI think the part we ALL lose sight of at one time or another is we post for others and not ourselves, and once we can realize that it's not about what other people thinkk it's about those who stay with us no matter what the topic/post/picture.
keeeep being you lady love, because that's the woman I LOVE to read about
I don't understand why people would unfollow. It was a lovely post and should not be forgotten.
ReplyDeleteI just found your blog through a friend's blog and I already admire you so much.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your Grandmother's story, it is so important for people to continue to hear the personal stories from the Holocaust. Soon all the survivors will be gone and we will be in charge of retelling their stories. Of rekindling the truth of what really happened.
Thank you. I am sorry people were put off by your story. There seems to be a growing trend of women blogging to only share their glossy ever-so-perfect side of life. I think the women's blogging world is due for an overhaul, I thought we were all on here writing to build a community. To share our good and bad experience, so we could find inspiration and support.
Thank you for your bravery and strength.
I know, I don't get the unfollow part by so many. I notice this when it comes to certain posts. Worst, if I don't follow back within a week or a day in certain circumstances they unfollow again. I mean, come on!!! I have a life outside my little blog corner and I don't have to follow back if I'm not interested. Because I could follow back, but that's not the point in being/living/enjoying a blog community. I wouldn't be reading. I'd be scrolling through if not even ignoring posts. :( Is that what they want?
ReplyDeleteLove all of your blog posts even if I don't always comment, just btw. ;)
xoxo
I am your newest follower and was hopin' that you'd pop on by my blog (which is currently under construction so don't mind the missing photo, etc), hang around and follow me back!
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely day!
Sarah
www.enjoyingtheepiphany.com
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine why anyone would unfollow after that post. I read that post and that's why I decided to follow. :) Beautifully written and some things need to be remembered.