Thursday, May 5, 2011

Accidents and Blessings

I haven't told anyone about the car accident besides my immediate family.

I'm actually a really private person.

I also don't want to worry people and constantly be asked about our well being, etc.,

My suv had a leaky gas tank. I filled up my car at the gas station I always go to, & as I turn the car on to leave, an attendant ran up to me and said to turn off the car, I'm leaking gas, etc.,

They wouldn't even let me drive the car 30 ft to the drop off area for cars to get worked on.

I needed a new gas tank & my suv wasn't safe to drive. A nuisance, yes, but a blessing in disguise that the leakage was caught..

I borrowed my Mom's Toyota sedan Wednesday evening, the same day I dropped off my suv to get worked on.

Thursday afternoon, after B got home from work, I picked him up from running errands and we headed to a store.

We were 2 blocks from our house. Stopped at a red light. And then I saw him coming.

I looked in my rear view mirror after B had made me laugh about something. I saw a beige car barreling down the road, heading straight towards us. I said, "oh my G-d", started turning the wheel because I actually though maybe I can get out of this guys way before he... BAM...

Collision. I couldn't even finish my thought before he slammed into us. I put my foot on the break. nothing

I tried to turn the wheel because we were headed straight into a ditch. nothing

We careened across two lanes of traffic and ended up a mere feet from going into the ditch.

I started screaming, "my baby!! My baby!!" M was screaming and crying. Hubs and I jumped out of the car. I got the car in park. My foot got stuck under the peddle. B raced out of the car to get M but bags were strewn across the back seats.

I jumped in the back from the drivers side and got M out.

I had to hold her. Comfort her. We were trembling.

I had to hold M tight. had to.

I screamed to B to call 911. I called my Mom because I knew she was nearby. And this was her car that just got hit.

My Mo got to us (15 mins) faster than the police (22 mins). Not impressed, but when the cop saw the damage, he called for fire and rescue.

Ambulances came. They checked out M, B & I. Thank G-d M is okay. B & I went to the docs on Friday. We are so bruised! B has a bruises rib, whiplash, constant headaches. I have major bruising, soreness, headaches...

It could've been so much worse. This 20 yr old kid was on his phone, not paying attention. Had I not turned the car to the right at all, we would've been hurt even more. I barely missed ramming the suv in front of me. We surely would've gone straight under his suv.

The 20 yr old went to the er w/ neck pain. He slammed into us but he's the one w/ pain!?!? Hmm.

E apologized profusely but I was thisclose to punching him in the face. I have a 7 mo old in the car. I have my husband in the car.

What's wrong with you?!

The car is totaled. The Husband's pictures are so much more detailed. The trunk won't open. The frame of the car is ruined.






The 20 yr old was driving his Mom's car. Thank G-d he wasn't driving an suv!!!!!!!

We would've been in even worse shape!!

His car... The bumper fell off right after these pics!



There are so so so many blessings from this accident. One, we have bruises, but we are okay.

Secondly? If we'd been driving my suv with the leaky gas tank, my car would've exploded. The firefighters said we were so lucky we were driving my Mom's car.

They also said it would've been a "firey crash with a horrible outcome."

It still gives me chills to think about.

If anything, anything at all, had happened to my loves, I would've lost it. Totally. Utterly. Lost it.

We have been thinking about getting a new suv anyway. This is the perfect opportunity.

Hugs your loved ones close. Give them an extra kiss today.

3 comments:

  1. i'm so thankful that y'all are okay!!! PTL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap! Glad to hear you're ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you're okay! Blessings in disguise!

    ReplyDelete



Growing, Laughing, and Loving in Life

Wife, Momma, Family person, HS Teacher, Baker, Crafter, Half-Marathoner

Blog Archives


Fabulous Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs

Growing, Laughing and Loving in Life...

One woman's journey into Motherhood, Domesticity and Teaching with occasional ramblings on food, family and this beautiful life.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved