Friday, July 8, 2011

Comments and Religion

I went to my exes Mom's funeral. She died of breast cancer. She was a sweet, hard working, religious woman who devoted her life to her family, her three children and her religion.

She was a southern Baptist, raised in a small town in West Virginia called Shepardstown.

She had two funerals. One at the Baptist church she attended here, and one in WV where she was being buried.

My ex, at the time a boyfriend, wanted me to go with him to the services. Obviously, I obliged.

After all, who wouldn't go support their boyfriend during such a hard time?!

So, ex bf and I rode together to the ceremony in town. I had only been in a church a few times before this. Being raised well though, I knew to act properly and respectfully in a place of worship.

I sat in the last pew in the middle section, whereas ex bf sat with his two siblings in the front. I didn't want to intrude in family space up front.

It was a beautiful ceremony, complete with songs (even guitar playing) poems read and ex bf saying beautiful words about his Mom.

Then? Then the pastor spoke.

And spoke.

And spoke.

And spoke some more.

I don't know if he even knew what he was saying after almost 30 mins, but he sure was doing too much some talking.

And then he said something. Something so hurtful, so vile, that I respectfully waited for him to finish his words before I ran out crying and drove home in tears.

The pastor was not even close sorta near the end of his words when he said,

and let us pray for those who don't accept Jesus. Let us pray for those who don't want to be saved. Let us pray that they find the right path in life. Like the Jews, who are going to Hell for not accepting Jesus. Let us pray for these lost souls who need guidance and strength.

I was crushed horrified hurt heartbroken in disbelief sad, so so sad, to hear these words.

I had come into this house of worship to offer support to the man at the time that I loved.

Was ex bf hearing these words of hate every time he went to service? Was he being told I'm not worthy of going to Heaven?

What was he being told? Why is anyone being told such hurtful lies?

I'm a human. Because I believe differently from this "pastor", I an condemned to hell?

It's that easy, huh? And just because I'm Jewish?

I'm scared people are going to believe these lies. I don't want people praying for my "salvation". I don't want people praying for me because I happen to believe differently.

Ex bf realized quickly that I was no longer at the church and sped over to my parents house where I was in tears. I had to leave the church. I was uncomfortable, insulted and deeply hurt.

He explained to me that he didn't believe what the pastor said about "non believers".

My ex bf happens to be a kind hearted person though. Is he a bad baptist then if he doesn't believe I'm going to hell?

It was a humbling lesson for me, this experience. I learned most Christian religions believe somewhat of the same thing.

It's unfortunate, but those that seek the real word of G-d won't judge me and condemn me to hell simply because I believe something different.

After all, the Bible says for all of Christianity:

Matthew 7:1-5

Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.


Love yourself and your neighbors.
xo

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that preacher was so insensitive. This is kind of how I've felt regarding some Christians' response to the Casey Anthony verdict...while they might believe that she will be judged for her sins one day by God, it's so wrong for them to have any kind of joy through her pain and suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fear that my children will hear these things and think they or their mama are going to he'll for not being Christians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, that is awful! How horrible! I am personally Roman Catholic, and we are taught and raised to love and accept all people of all religions and we pray for all people, regardless of what they believe. We are taught that God loves us all! That is so sad that someone who has a position like that would preach something like that!

    ReplyDelete



Growing, Laughing, and Loving in Life

Wife, Momma, Family person, HS Teacher, Baker, Crafter, Half-Marathoner

Blog Archives


Fabulous Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs

Growing, Laughing and Loving in Life...

One woman's journey into Motherhood, Domesticity and Teaching with occasional ramblings on food, family and this beautiful life.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved