Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Story time

For months and months, I've been wanting to take M to a library story time. Something has come up every.single.time.

But we finally made it yesterday! We got to the library half an hour early, got to walk around a little, and then, more little people came.

A 13 month old little boy walked right up to M. She looked at him, walked the few inches the boy left in between them, and she gave him a huge hug.

*sigh*

M pulled a book off the shelf and brought it to me, much like she does when we're at home.

She sat on my lap and I started reading to her.

And that's when I heard it.

The mom of the little boy said, "See! Why can't you sit like her? Why are you such a bad boy? You're so bad!!"

She then turned to me and said, "I prayed for a girl. I want one so bad still. Your daughter is just so beautiful!"

She then picked M up, gave her a kiss on the cheek, and put her back down.

You read that right.

I promptly picked M up and walked to a different table. The Mom said again, "Your daughter is just so so so cute! Just so sweet and innocent. She has a warm heart, I can tell. She's a delicate flower. Prim and proper! She's just so beautiful!!"

As she was saying this, her 13 month old was throwing books off the shelves and running around.

She saw him and said, "Why son? Why are such a bad boy! Why can't you be calm and read like her? You won't be smart since you don't like books!"

Then, other parents started arriving.

Thank G-d.

I was so uncomfortable with the things that mom was saying. To compare your baby to my toddler? Different ages, different sexes, different ways of being raised...

I'm totally against berating your child and comparing him (vocalizing it to the child, instead of keeping it in your head, at the least) to another child.

Besides that stuff, we had fun! M loved the singing and dancing the most, of course!

And, she got her first official sticker!! Proud momma right here, folks!




5 comments:

  1. Yikes...like saying those thing to her son is really going to help?

    Some people and their parenting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, that makes me feel bad for that little boy...

    but on a more positive note, glad you and M had a good time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people are so coo coo!

    I try not to be all judgie with people and their parenting "styles," but there are some real odd people out there.

    Glad you were still able to enjoy your time.

    I should do this with Mia, she's such a fan of books, she would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel so bad for that child. And how CREEPY that she felt she could pick up your child and kiss her! Eek!

    Glad y'all had fun other than that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, how horrible of that mother to say! Like you said, keep it in your head lady. And yeah, picking up M and kissing her is a LITTLE much. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete



Growing, Laughing, and Loving in Life

Wife, Momma, Family person, HS Teacher, Baker, Crafter, Half-Marathoner

Blog Archives


Fabulous Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs

Growing, Laughing and Loving in Life...

One woman's journey into Motherhood, Domesticity and Teaching with occasional ramblings on food, family and this beautiful life.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved