Friday, March 16, 2012

Nerves

Tomorrow is my first half-marathon.

Woah.

My nerves are in over-drive. I'm scared. Excited. Nervous. Happy.

I haven't done a long run (9 miles) since the weekend before I hurt my knee.

February 23rd was the last day I actually got more than a few miles done, in fact. 4.25 or so.

And I struggled because I hurt my knee so badly.

I did 2 miles earlier this week. Wednesday I was going to do 5 but the track was closed. So I decided I'll try out running 3 miles today. If I'm pain free doing it, I'll do the race tomorrow.

If I have a lot of pain? I can't do the race. I'll physically be limping and hobbling and that's just not okay. Or comfortable. Or cute.

I know because of my knee injury, I'll have to walk intermittently. Walk, run, walk, run, walk, run... During a half-marathon. LAME.

Am I going to be the only person walking in a half-marathon? I'm going to look like a loser, I fear.

I have no recollection of what finishing time I wrote on the entry form, so I have no idea what corral I'm in. Do people usually run faster in these races, because of adrenaline? Or slower? How is my body going to do after not really running in 3+ weeks??

The Husband and I are going into DC tonight to pick up my packet/running gear.

I'm excited, but holy hell I'm scared. I know that even if my knee is bothering me, I'll want to cross the finish line. And I'll injure myself. And that's not so fun.

Does every half-marathoner have some type of knee pain? But their knee pain isn't crippling, right? I want my medal though. I've worked so hard to get to this point. SO. HARD.

I suddenly feel like I'm wholly unprepared for the run. Should I bring my own water bottle? Do I need to bring my own running watch? I.d.?

So many questions!

And it wasn't until last night, talking with hubs, that I even decided today's run would determine if I go tomorrow.

If I do go tomorrow, which I'm praying I can, I'm doing something I saw on pinterest.

A runner wrote down the name of every person who cheered her on, and kept that little paper with her on her run.

I love the idea and, what better way to keep going than run in honor of those people? So, whoever has cheered me on, and does until race time, is going in my bra tomorrow. Ya know, on that sheet.


4 comments:

  1. I love that idea!!

    So many people walk! We walked some in our last half. It's fine! Walk through the aid stations.

    I took my own water bottle and did not regret it!

    You will be great - call me later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I'm on your team! Good luck! You'll be great!

    Praying that knee plays nice tomorrow!

    Get it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck! I hope your knee cooperates!

    Everyone experiences pain, etc when training. Someone once told me that what we do as runners isn't very natural for the human body, so we SHOULD experience pain:) Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete



Growing, Laughing, and Loving in Life

Wife, Momma, Family person, HS Teacher, Baker, Crafter, Half-Marathoner

Blog Archives


Fabulous Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs

Growing, Laughing and Loving in Life...

One woman's journey into Motherhood, Domesticity and Teaching with occasional ramblings on food, family and this beautiful life.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved