Monday, July 23, 2012

Different View

Growing up right outside of NYC, then DC and a short 3 year stint in Virginia Beach, I never got to escape it.

Traffic.

Virginia Beach has ridiculous amounts of traffic. Tourists, locals, concerts at the oceanfront. Then there's the fact that it's the most populated city in Virginia.

But growing up right outside of NYC and then DC?

That's the real traffic.

It doesn't matter the time of day here in our nations capital.

There is always traffic. There is always a roadway having construction done. There are always detours.

Always.

The inner loop and outer loop always makes for an
excruciatingly long and dullinteresting drive. Traffic stops. And goes. Stops. And goes. Stops...

It raises your blood pressure like no other.

Seriously.

M and I went to visit The Husband for lunch last week and driving on 495? Took years off my life.

I wanted to show a diagram of how traffic is, but I couldn't find all of my nephews matchbox cars. Imagine 67941302 cars trying to merge at the same time into the same lane. I'm not exaggerating.

I was able to snap a few pictures of the mess that is 495.




Those cars on the left? They're not moving. In fact, cars weren't moving for over two miles.




Oh look! More non-moving traffic.



Construction on the right and left. Which makes drivers forget how to drive. And use their blinkers. And be safe sharers of the road.

By the time M and I got home from lunch with hubs, I was stressed. I could physically feel the tension in my shoulders and my head was starting to ache.

Amazing for someone that used to drive 2k miles a month when I moved away, right?

I hadn't realized how unorganized I-495 is, how bad the traffic still is, how completely stressful the driving is there. The lines that separate car lanes? Are often blurred and merge into ONE lane because the roads are changing. Detours change over night. Traffic is horrendous.

And all of that? Made me see The Husband in a brand new way.

Some days? I just want to park my tush on the couch and just sit. After a day of playing and chasing our sweet M around, it sounds enticing. It's true.

But then The Husband gets home and I want to talk to him and M wants to play with him and I want to hug him and M wants to use him as a personal jungle gym.

And he's never complained once about the drive. Although I knew it wasn't fun. He's never come home and said, "I can't do it anymore!" even though I know I personally would've thought it if I were in his shoes.

So my perspective totally changed.

And I mentioned to my wonderful husband that from my one little measly drive, I hated it and felt anxious. That I don't know how he does it, day in and day out.

His response?

I do it for my girls. You and M. That's it.


Consider me a puddle of mushiness at this point. And gratitude.

So, I'm making a more concerted effort to show and tell my love how much we appreciate his hard work. And tolerance of 495 traffic.

2 comments:

  1. Good, sweet Hubby! And traffic raises my blood pressure too and I know here it's nothing in comparison to other cities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore his comment - so sweet!

    I remember this awful traffic when I took McK to Tyson's Corner last year. I couldn't do it, either!

    ReplyDelete



Growing, Laughing, and Loving in Life

Wife, Momma, Family person, HS Teacher, Baker, Crafter, Half-Marathoner

Blog Archives


Fabulous Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs

Growing, Laughing and Loving in Life...

One woman's journey into Motherhood, Domesticity and Teaching with occasional ramblings on food, family and this beautiful life.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved