I blogged in detail how September 11, 2001 was for me in last years post.
It was, and still is, a hard day for so many of us.
The fear that so many of us close to the "hit" areas have still creeps up.
When we hear a too-low airplane, we look around and worry.
In this area, we all know someone that lost someone. In our case, we lost several family friends in the Pentagon.
I went to pick up my best friend at her house so we could go to classes at our university. We were sophomores.
Kris said, "SEL, come in and look at the twin towers. An airplane flew into them. They think it was an accident."
I didn't go look because we were running late for class.
When we got to class, my friend Andrea said, "Both towers have been hit. I think we're under attack."
Our math class, with Dr. Ford, proceeded anyway.
By 10:45, as I got to my English class, people were in hysterics.
The Pentagon had been hit.
And my Dad had a meeting there that morning.
My world changed in an instant.
Everyone's did.
Cars were skidding and speeding out of the parking lot. The roads were more packed than rush-hour traffic. It took us 45 minutes to go one mile.
All phone lines were down. No one could get through. It was pure chaos. AT&T also reimbursed everyone for all charges that day, I remember.
It was my brothers first day as coordinator at a local hospital. He had quite the introduction.
When I spoke to my Dad that evening, finally able to reach him, I remember collapsing to the floor in tears.
He was okay. He missed his flight from Charlotte to DC. It was the second time he ever missed a flight, by the way.
My Mom was able to escape danger in DC.
My uncle who worked in the Twin Towers center walked over 60 blocks that day, away from what had been his normal. We didn't know he was okay until the next day.
I'm grateful my loved ones were safe. I thank G-d daily for my blessings.
We all have our stories.
What's yours?


Very moving, SEL.
ReplyDeletewow, very touching! I'm glad your father missed his flight!
ReplyDeleteWow so crazy that you were so close to all the madness that was going on. i think we all have our distinct memories of that day... such a sad and scary day. What subject to you teach? I'm a HS teacher too! Us teachers/bloggers have to stick together! Just found your blog and have enjoyed getting to know. I'm excited to follow along!
ReplyDeletenew follower :)
bonnie
bonnielouisa.blogspot.com
Your story just brought me to tears. I cannot believe your family was so close to it all. Wow.
ReplyDeletewow. thank you so much for sharing your story. i was in fifth grade in MI on 9/11 and have never known anyone who was so personally affected. i am so glad for you that your family was all right.
ReplyDeleteIts a very good thing your father missed his flight! My father in law was supposed to have a meeting in the WTC that day too but either missed his flight or the meeting was canceled. A few of his co workers died that day.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for linking up with us!
This post really hit home, since I'm from DC too. My dad was supposed to be in DC close to the pentagon for work, but he was running late. He was on the bridge driving into DC when the plane hit.
ReplyDeleteSometimes I still can't believe it happened. I find myself overwhelmed with anger and sadness all at the same time.
Glad I stopped by to read this.
xoxo