Monday, September 10, 2012

The Time I Was In A Monsoon


Saturday morning started out calm. We had breakfast. Watched some cartoons. All was well.

The Husband said at around 10am: I want to go to my nephews football game at 2pm.

Let me break down how I understood his statement:
I want = all three of us will go
Nephews = I can't say no to family stuff
football game = okay, The Husband is definitely going to this event
2pm = but it may or may not storm at 4pm?

You see, over Labor Day weekend, the forecast was three days straight of thunderstorms and only one day did it actually rain. So, we decided to take a gamble and go to the game. HA. HAHAHAAAAA.

Anyway, since I'm a lover of morning showers, I hopped in the shower, actually did my hair after, applied foundation! and mascara! and moisturizer!

I wore
my usual mom outfit of yoga pants and tank topmy awesomely obnoxious hot pink sneakers, a matching pinkish shirt and brown shorts. Yay for "dressing up!"

We took a scenic route to the fields. Not on purpose, but we enjoyed the views. Virginia is a beautiful state, you know?




We got to the field. Saw the boys play.



And no more than 15 minutes into cheering on our nephews, it started
drizzling rainingmonsooning outside. Is that a word? Monsooning? If it's not, IT IS NOW. Because that shit was ridiculous.

What I'm saying is, it went from 3 random raindrops to raining so hard that I couldn't lift my face up to see straight ahead of me. The "rain" was freezing cold. M was in her city select that has an extended shade for coverage and even then? She was soaked because the whatever-the-hell-type-of-rain it was, was coming down sideways.

Oh, and my poor child was crying and screaming which I could only vaguely hear over the pounding of sheets o' rain hitting the pavement ahead of me.

What I haven't mentioned yet: The Husband was helping his parents and nephews gather everyone/everything, so I was trying to get M and myself to the car ALONE.

Oh, and I had trouble finding our car because I went in a different way than I came out. And also because when the sky and rain makes everything grey and hidden, it's hard to see your silver suv.

But I digress.

I changed M in the car. The Husband shows up a minute later and we sit in the parking lot for 20 minutes, waiting for at least eleventy billion other cars to get out of the too small parking lot.

Fun!

Hopefully this picture The Husband took captures my excitement.


Notice the running mascara? I tried, y'all. I tried to look nice. And this is what happened.

Then? We get news a tornado has touched down in the town we were in.

At that point, The Husband basically forced his way in front of cars and got us out of what was now a swamp.

See the large
lakepuddle in front of us? And you can't see the rain drops because it's literally coming down in sheets.






The above picture? Oh, that's just The Husband driving with literally, buckets of monsooning madness hitting us.

The best part? I hate being in wet clothes. I don't like getting wet at all unless I'm in a pool or shower. Yet when we got home? Our power was out. So The Husband ran in, got a change of clothes for all of us, and we went to my in-laws house, who had power.

So the story would've ended great at that point, except as soon as we got to the in-laws house, I realized The Husband forgot to bring me a pair of underwear. But he was kind enough to say I could borrow a pair of his mothers. After I
looked at him in horrorpolitely declined, I decided to just ignore The Husband for a little bit while I defrosted, I mean dried myself off.

Moral of the story? The weather G-d's will show you who's boss if you decide to "take a gamble" and always, dear friends, bring a change of undies.

1 comments:

  1. bahahahahahahaha! It was like this at home, too, except I was IN THE HOUSE! I think one moral of the story is don't get fixed up! haha Mom clothes for the win!

    *and I totally forgot undies on one of our overnight trips to a Panthers game - ha!*

    ReplyDelete



Growing, Laughing, and Loving in Life

Wife, Momma, Family person, HS Teacher, Baker, Crafter, Half-Marathoner

Blog Archives


Fabulous Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs

Growing, Laughing and Loving in Life...

One woman's journey into Motherhood, Domesticity and Teaching with occasional ramblings on food, family and this beautiful life.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved