I just don't know how to get the words out properly. I don't want to speak negatively about anyone and I certainly don't want to be anything other than the best Mom I can be to M.
But I'm upset about something and I want to get it off my chest.
We are blessed to live in a neighborhood with a bunch of kids M's age. They range in age from 22 months to 4 years and there are 8 kids in that age range. Awesome, right?
Well, sort of.
There are 4 girls and 4 boys. M takes the total amount of kids to 9.
There is one set of siblings, a boy and a girl, that, umm, bother me.
Whew. That was a weight lifted off my shoulder.
The boy is 4 days older than M. The girl is a year and a half older. So, she's 3.5. And to be honest? Neither kid behaves properly.
The older sister picks on her brother constantly. And when I say constantly, I mean, every.single.time. we're outside? She does something to him. A few days ago, she was using M's chalk to draw all over his face. Even when he was crying because of it? She did it anyway.
Yesterday, she decided it would be fun to push him down a steep hill. And when he caught his balance, she jumped on him and rolled him down the hill.
I don't recall my older brother and sister doing these things to me, but hey, maybe they did and I don't remember. Doubtful.
But, both brother and sister? They gang up on M.
Earlier this week, the boy decided he wanted to hit M IN THE FACE with a stick. When I said, "umm, John, we don't hit people, and certainly not with sticks. Please don't hit M in the face, or at all. Thanks!" his mom THEN turned around to see what happened.
Two days ago, John decided to pull M's arm. She said, "Stop, John!" and ran away.
Want to know what happened next? Bully John decided to chase after my child, who was running from him, and yanked her hair so hard that her head flew back. Once he did that and M had to stop in place, he pushed M down to the ground, hard enough that she started crying.
Just so you know, my child rarely cries. And we actually pride ourselves on the fact that she can fall and scrape her knee, but she get's up, says, "I'm okay!!" brushes off her knee and keeps going. Seriously. My kid is awesome.
When I saw John start to chase M, I knew he was up to no good. So, I actually started running towards my daughter. I didn't get to her in time though.
M had tears and said, "John. He pulled my hair." I went to the bully's mom and told her what her son just did. She then ASKED her son if it was true. He admitted what he did and then had to sit in time out. And apparently, time out is just having to sit near his mom while he plays with chalk (ours) or with bubbles (again, ours.)
Also two days ago? The older sister decided to ram her scooter straight into M as her back was to the scooter. So, M fell forward, grabbed her ankle, and limped to me.
The mom said, "Oh my. Did you do that on purpose? Why would you do that? You have a time out now," to the perpetrator, her daughter. And, you guessed it. Time out was just "hanging out" outside near her mom.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!
And then there's yesterday. M was standing on a paver that was in the shape of a circle, all by herself. Minding her own business. Well, John decided it was a good idea to come over and push M away. When she stumbled backwards, he came again at her, pushing her harder and making sure she fell down. Again, his Mom said, "John, that's not nice. You have time out." He stood next to her for a whole 20 seconds before he was off playing again. And yes, I actually counted how "long" his timeout was.
I have been, and still am, furious. My child gets physically attacked by your bully children and that's all you do? You have them "sit" near you? Really?
This morning, I took M outside to walk around and play with her bike/chalk/bubbles. I saw the two bully kids outside, as did M, and she remarked, "Oh! My friends! Hi friends!" and started walking over to them.
And for once, I told M that no, we wouldn't be playing with them today. We were going to play by ourselves.
I was sad to say that to her. I don't want M to have to be separated from neighborhood kids because they don't act properly and because they don't learn to act civilized.
But, what am I to do?
The kids ended up coming over to us this morning anyway, but I stayed right next to M the entire time. Of course, the older sister decided to take things (repeatedly) out of M's hands. (And only M, by the way. She doesn't do that to any other kid in the neighborhood.)
I'm seriously baffled as to why these kids are such bully's to my kid. She is so sweet and kind to them. She just wants to be friends. So why are these kids like this? What am I supposed to do, as M's Mommy, to prevent these situations from happening again?
Another neighborhood mom told me last week that John used a stick to hit her newly adopted dog repeatedly. When she told John to stop, he didn't listen. John's mom wasn't paying attention to the situation, which seems to be a common theme. The next day, John was pulling the dogs tail, making the dog yelp.
I don't want to create neighborhood drama. But I'm sure as hell not going to have my kid injured or treated poorly because some kids are allowed to act like animals.
Trying to find a peaceful resolution right now seems rather difficult. And is perhaps futile.
Help?


I know this is totally not practice but I would take a stick and a beat the crap out of Johns mom. John is not the problem his mother is. I mean yes I get it meeting a parent is hard work I get that and I do not take that from ANY mother but shit if you see your kid doin something so mean like that to anther kid and that poor helpless dog you need to step the eff up and tell that kid to knock his sh*t off. War happens if that poor dog turned around and bit that kid because he pulled the dogs tail? Tat owner would have one hell of a law suit on her hands that could have been avoided if Johns mom would step up!
ReplyDeleteSorry. End rant.
Good luck! Your a great mom!
Oh my! My thoughts....it's not M's fault at all. The other kids are having their own issues, and from what I see/hear all the time it's the parents who need to step in and control the situation. I am not one for confrontation, but would you feel comfortable talking to the other mom about her kids? I know it's hard.
ReplyDeleteBut the other kids behavior won't change unless their parents do something to help the situation.
If I were in your shoes I would honestly keep my child away from them unless the other parent is right there to observe their child's behavior and intervene immediately.
Such a hard spot to be in!
That's awful!! You know, I don't spend as much time with one of my friends anymore because her son, who is the same age as my oldest son, does the same stuff. Purposefully hitting him and bullying him. The difference is that my friend DOES stop and intervene and punish him. BUT he still doesn't stop. It makes it impossible to go over to their house or invite them over to ours. :( I don't envy you that situation. For me, and I know it's not fair to M, but I think you're doing the right thing by not letting M play with those kids. It sounds like their mom doesn't care what kind of people her children grow up to be!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds awful!! My brother and I did torture each other (I probably did more torturing because I was older...) but never other kids. I cannot believe that the parents don't do anything. Well, I can. But it's ridiculous! My cousin was a nightmare kid with zero rules or parenting, and it went on until the parents in their play group finally sat my aunt and uncle down and said either the kid's behavior changes or we're throwing her out of the group. If you don't want to do an intervention like that, probably best to keep M away. Poor sweet girl!!!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! That's so horrible! I think you are doing the right thing by staying by M. Maybe have a conversation with the mom about how her kids are acting if it gets worse.
ReplyDeleteIt is absolutely ridiculous that children at such young ages not only behave like that, but get away with it. No wonder why they keep doing it... there are no punishments! I wonder how the mother would feel if you pushed her down a hill, or drove into her with your car!
ReplyDeleteI agree with your first comment. The Mom is the problem. She really isn't doing anything when they act out so they keep on doing things. I would call her or meet with her somewhere without the kids. Good Luck
ReplyDeleteThat is so terrible! Bullying is the worst and is so hard on a momma heart:(
ReplyDeleteThis is awful. I agree with the others, the mom is the problem. I think you are doing the right thing keeping M away from them. I also think if M was the one hurting those kids that their mother would be all over you telling you to make M behaves...that is usually how it is in situations like is. Sorry you are going through this my friend!
ReplyDeleteMaybe you should have a talk with the Mom and tell her that if her kids can't leave yours alone then they need to say in their own yard. Bullying is one thing I will not tolerate. I have already tried to instill this in my boys.
ReplyDeletefollowing you back :)
ReplyDeleteour neighborhood kids are little hoodlums. i don't look forward to the day when my kids are old enough to want to play with them.... how are bullies getting younger and younger? kids are so cruel these days....
I nanny and there are several kids in the neighborhood like that. It's so upsetting when the mom's don't care or discipline. If it were me, I would cut it off with the family, but it's a complicated issue! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteOh my God!I'm not a parent yet and I'm still young but I see too many kids to behave poorly and parents do not anything about it. It gets on my nerves...seriously i'd show those kids some autority. Which probably is a concept they don't know yet. a clear and loud NO!should work.
ReplyDeleteand if not I'd open directly with their parents...
anyways, good luck!
dailylivingingeneva.blogspot.com
Oh uh uh. I would've already been in that Mama's living room having a "discussion" by now. She is the problem. You're right, it's not M. And staying by her is good, but I don't think it will work for long. I'd say something to the Mom. If that doesn't work, I'd say something to the kids. Obviously only when M is concerned but they need to know it is NOT okay to treat her like that. Ideally their Mom should teach them that but it doesn't sound like that is happening... i hope you figure it out girl. That's a sucky situation.
ReplyDeleteSel, you are too sweet for words, and so is M. If that was me I would get ghetto and redneck at the same time! At some point you don't need to worry about starting drama but putting an end to this. Say your piece to this obviously oblivious woman before her son does anything else. I know boys are rough but this is a clear case of bullying, and if it doesn't stop now its going to get worse. I hate the way society keeps people from being able to stand up to those who have no moral compass. At some point "time out" doesn't work, and ass whippings must commence. You are a smart lady and a great mom, I know you can figure this out. Getting off my soapbox now Lol
ReplyDelete