I feel like sometimes? I need to calm myself down and remind myself to just chill. Relax. Take it easy, Sel.
I wouldn't say I'm a go-with-the-flow type of gal. I mean, I've been like that, sure. With friends. With family. But do I like change, in a moment's notice? Nope. I like structure, organization, planned events. I guess I like to know what's going on so I can prepare. Prepare for what, I'm really not sure. I'm sure that sounds crazy.
As a Mommy, things are rarely under my control. Yes, The Husband and I are the bosses at home.
So why have I been so short with her the past week? Or over the past month?
M has been trying to ride her bike in the house this week. Okay, no problem. And she's learning to pedal and she's getting so good at it! But, if she gets stuck, she stopped saying, "Help please!" and just started whining.
The sound of her whine? Makes me need wine.
Stat.
It drives.me.crazy.
And so I screamed at her twice this week, "STOP IT!" Her reaction? Immediately crying and throwing herself to the floor, covering her face. Then, getting up and coming to me to hug me saying, "I'm sorry, Momma!"
I felt like such a failure. I'm supposed to help her, not discourage her from asking for help. What the hell was my problem?
And, who have I become?
I was always so patient with M.
Until the past month.
I feel like my fuse got shorter with her and I hated myself for it. I love M with all of my being. What was my problem?
I kept talking to The Husband about it and I couldn't figure out what my problem was.
Over the weekend, I had some alone time. I didn't necessarily feel refreshed from it, contrary to what I hear so many Moms say they feel afterwards.
But rather, I missed The Husband and M. A lot.
When I got home from shopping over the weekend, M started becoming cranky. The Husband said she had been an angel all day, no complaining, nothing.
Was it a coincidence that her behavior changed as soon as I got home? I don't know ... I don't necessarily believe in "coincidence."
I saw The Husband handle M being cranky flawlessly. In fact, he was so patient and calm, that it reminded me of how I used to be. My former self.
And honestly? It made me sad. Where did the Mommy I used to be, go?
I decided in that moment, of seeing The Husband hug M, and she calm down, and him talk to her softly and sweetly, that I needed to get back to who I was before.
Not this overly-tense, control-freak, not-able-to-stay-calm-110%-of-the-time person that I'd become.
I also decided that I needed to focus more on M, and less on the other "busy" things that can make up our days. The chores can wait. That last load of laundry? It can wait. Those dust bunnies in the corner? Those can wait too. Because I know for a fact they'll still be there tomorrow.
But my sweet babe? She'll be older tomorrow. She changes minute to minute, it seems. She can wait, sure. But I refuse to make her wait. She deserves better than that.
And I think M has noticed a change. She's happier with me, back to her old happy-all-the-time self. (seriously. she's the happiest child I've ever come across)
She deserves the best, and I want to give her that.
So, I'm sorry M. I'm sorry for being short with you when I shouldn't have been. I'm sorry for not encouraging you, but rather discouraging you. I'm sorry for not being the best Mommy I could be for you, this past month.
My promise to you, sweet girl, is that I will be more patient. I will be more understanding. I will give you more of my attention. Because you, my darling sunshine, deserve all that and more.
To my M and my Husband, thank you for loving me when I'm the most imperfect person.


I found your blog after chatting on Twitter last night...you know..about vomit;-) I am so so glad you wrote this. This past week we have snapped at Savannah for whining. It was just getting too much for us and the husband yelled, "Savannah, STOP IT!" She had no idea what we were saying. She cried more (and that's when she made herself vomit). So it happens to all of us.
ReplyDeleteMy profession (child psy.cholo.gist) should have taught me better to handle these situations, but in real life, it's different. In the office I can handle it, at home? Different.
Thank you for this reminder. I need to be patient. They are only little for so long.
what a cute and honest post. i love that you took the time to reassess and adjust what you're doing. i'm sure you are an amazing mom + wife! XO
ReplyDeleteI'm no mom but I can almost be sure it's no easy job being mom. Do the best you can do and love on that child with all your being which I ow you already do.
ReplyDeleteDon't be so hard on yourself; not only is M growing but so are you. Your self awareness is what makes you a great Mom. M is a lucky girl.
ReplyDeleteTara
http://tarabelle-adropofink.blogspot.com/
I really love how you were so honest in your post...
ReplyDeleteI'm not a mommy myself, but Lord knows I'll be posting my "truths" when that time comes. I'd say overall you are probably doing the best you can, and writing definately helps release frusterations.
Stephi xxx
This is a really nice post that I believe everyone can learn from. Thanks for reminding us that patience is key to every relationship.
ReplyDeletewww.modernworld4.blogspot.com
Such a sweet and real post. Thank you for posting it! Makes us all think about needing to slow down and needing to be patient.
ReplyDeleteI think all of us moms experience this. Some days are better than others for me. I mean seriously, who am I? I RARELY ever raised my voice before I had kids. I've always been very laid and easy going. Now, the boys push my buttons everyday. Sometimes I turn into a lunatic. It's so hard! I always say I wish there was a manual!
ReplyDeleteI've lost my patience several times since Gabe has been born, mainly with my husband. We all have limits and all too often they get tap danced on. Good for you for doing better and recognizing that you need to try to set a good example. You are doing a great job. And it's obvious you adore your baby girl!
ReplyDelete