I was in a
A few hours after sending that tweet, The Husband tells me that his Mom's private day care in DC that she runs, is having a fundraiser. Any wife knows this is a hint that we should go. So, off we went.
I got M's diaper bag ready, got us changed, The Husband got ready, and headed out the door with M. I was a few steps behind because I decided I'd try to make myself presentable by putting some make-up on.
I had my wallet in hand, my phone and a lollipop for M.
Simple enough.
The Husband and M were outside talking to some neighborhood kids. (Not the bully ones!) I put my wallet, phone and lollipop in the diaper bag, as I always do.
We headed to the car, drove to DC, had a blast, and on the way home from the city, we went to Best Buy to return two portable DVD players we had. (side note: Why the hell was I sold two of these pieces of equipment if they aren't portable?!?! They have to be plugged in at all times to work. So, they either need a car charger or wall outlet to work. In my book, that defeats the purpose of portability, but hey, maybe I'm asking too much. PANASONIC FAIL.)
Anyway, as I was taking the non-portable portable DVD players back into the store, I realized I didn't have my wallet. I used my card to pay for it. Back to the car I went. Except, my wallet was nowhere to be found.
We checked the stroller inside and out. We looked under seats, in slats, basically took M's carseat apart (why, I have no idea), sifted through papers, looked every.single.place. I could in the car.
And? My wallet was nowhere to be found. We hurriedly returned the items at Best Buy and rushed home.
My thoughts on the drive home:
1.) How did I lose my wallet? I always put it in the diaper bag. Where'd it go?
2.) Surely, no one in DC went into the diaper bag while it was sitting off to the side, right? I mean, c'mon!
3.) OMG this is so not like me. UGH.
4.) How many cards did I even HAVE in my wallet? Was my social security card in there?
5.) Wow, I have heartburn. I've never had heartburn except when I was pregnant. Am I giving myself a heart attack?
6.) See #1.
7.) How was I so irresponsible to lose my freaking wallet, man?
8.) See #5.
9.) Yep, this is probably a heart attack. I'm going to die, after I lost my wallet. Awesome.
10.) See #1.
11.) Oh yeah, this chest pain is going to be the end of me. This is the end. At least I'm holding The Husbands hand as I go?
We got home, ran to the front door because I was hoping-against-hope that I somehow dropped my wallet before I walked out of the door.
As soon as I opened the storm door, something yellow caught my eye. In the tiny little corner of the door, hidden behind the storm door when it's closed, clearly visible when it's open, was my wallet. Neatly placed, with the sanitizer still attached, laying next to it.
Contents were all still inside, nothing was missing.
I think the exact words in my head at the time were, "OH THANK GOD THANK GOD THANK GOD THANK GOD THANK GOD THANK GOD THANK GOD THANK GOD," to which my husband so eloquently said, "That's awesome. I knew nothing bad happened to your wallet."
So I responded with, "That's karma. That's some good karma!"
And, it is. I mean, where did I drop my wallet? I distinctly remember it being in the diaper bag before we got to the car. Did it fall out in our neighborhood? Did it fall out in DC and someone drove it to our house?
Either way, someone was honest enough and raised right by their Momma and Daddy to return a wallet that they so easily could have run off with.
There are still good people in the world.
And that? That makes me happy.
Even chance meetings are the result of karma… Things in life are fated by our previous lives. That even in the smallest events there’s no such thing as coincidence. -Haruki Murakami
According to the karma of past actions, one's destiny unfolds, even though everyone wants to be so lucky. -Sri Guru Granth Sahib


That's awesome! So glad someone brought it back!
ReplyDeleteWhat do the tweets say? The links are broken so I can't see the images :(
ReplyDeleteGlad you found your wallet!
Things like this give me hope for our world =) So glad you got it back!!
ReplyDeleteI can't see what your tweets said. I am curious. That was so nice someone brought it back to you. I would say you had a GREAT DAY!
ReplyDeleteWow! That's awesome!
ReplyDeleteGirlfriend I am so glad that someone was nice enough to not only return your wallet but to return it with all its contents! Pay it forward sista!
ReplyDeleteYay happy you are so awesome and thats why you have such great karma!
ReplyDeletethis happen to us with our savings checkbook, I thought for sure we would be cleared out by the time we got home, but there it was sitting by our front door!
people rock!
:)
hope you had a great weekend!!
Yeah, for good karma!
ReplyDelete-meandmr.com
Yay for cool people! I'd freak out if I lost mine too.
ReplyDelete