Thursday, August 22, 2013

Ups and Downs

This week. What can I say about it.

Tuesday was a really really hard day for me. My anxiety was high and I was just sort of out of it. I used to take medicine for my anxiety, but stopped years ago. I think I'll start taking it again. I mean, in my situation, it's understandable, I'm guessing.

I'm trying to focus on M and getting her outside to enjoy the summer weather. I admit, sadly, that she hasn't been out anywhere near as much as last summer. Because last summer? We were still in our condo and we were outside every single day. Honestly. There wasn't a day that M wasn't outside last summer. This summer? M is lucky to get outside a few times a week. So starting a few weeks ago, I've made it a point to get her out and to the park, or to have play dates, etc.

Tomorrow is my birthday and my wonderful husband took off to spend the day with us. We'll go to a local water park, just like we did on my birthday last year, after M has her morning gym class.

We've invited all of my family over and we'll grill. The weather is supposed to be sunny and in the mid 80's. Fingers crossed it stays as predicted.

I'm trying to give grief a space, rather than grief taking over all of the space in my life.

I'll be the first to acknowledge that I haven't fully accepted what's happened. That Brielle may never come back to us. I just can't deal with the whole truth right now. I want to accept it, trust me. Because who wants to live in denial?  But, I just can't. I can't acknowledge the truth and so I'm sort of stuck in this never ending cycle of grief, sadness, anger, denial, wash-rinse-repeat. I know that until I accept the truth about what happened, that I'll never really make progress with all of this. But I'm not ready to accept that I'll never have Brielle in my arms again. So, I'm stuck. I'm stuck in this new reality that I didn't want or ask for, while the rest of the world just moves along in their everyday lives.

I'm stuck in this hell.

But I'm trying to not let the sadness and grief take over my entire day anymore. Trying is the key word.

Like yesterday. We went to our condo to visit M's friends and to chat. I was talking to the mom's about Brielle and how sad and frustrated I am about everything. The moment I finished talking, like literally, the second I finished speaking, a yellow butterfly gingerly flew by.

Now, I don't believe in coincidence.

So I'm thinking it was Brielle letting me know that physically, she's not here. But spiritually, mentally, emotionally, she's here. And she's okay.

And, it was the first butterfly I saw in two weeks! I keep wishing to see more, but I don't. They aren't flying around in our backyard like they used to. It makes me sad, but what can I do.

I'm just trying to deal with everything as it comes. The baby fever I have that was supposed to be filled with my own sweet girl. The jealousy I have that everyone seems to get to keep their baby but me. The anger I feel over why this happened, why it wasn't prevented (if it could've been), etc.

I'm still living moment-to-moment. A lot of times I feel like I'm just existing, not really alive. I can't remember the last time I really felt alive! And truly happy! And carefree!

I hope it returns soon. At least one of those things. Because, geez. Living in this sadness is no fun.


8 comments:

  1. I think giving grief a space is a great idea. I also think anxiety meds would be helpful. I've been on them for about two years and they do help a lot.

    I hope you have a happy birthday and enjoy the celebration with your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that I could tell you that grief will be over soon, but unfourntatly it will stay with us forever. We learn to become stronger, and that butterfly was TOTALLY Brielle and she was letting you know that even though she isn't there she is okay, and she will be with you forever.

    I wish you the happiest birthday, and please know how much you are loved! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy birthday. I wish I could say something that could help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't think so - but you're amazingly strong.
    And you're going to make it through. I have NEVER been through what you are going through, so I won't pretend to be all things knowledgeable but just know that we are all here for you. And the prayers never stop.
    Sending all of my love your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it seems like it will not end but it will, and you'll be able to live the life you used to live, but you gotta allow yourself to grieve and let go. In your own time. This has changed you. Maybe one day you can channel this pain and help other grieving moms get through this. I admire your honesty and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart aches for you. I'm still praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wish your birthday was celebrated with your full family this year. i pray you get answers and can feel complete again. hugs. i see butterflies A LOT more than i ever have. i'm looking for brielle and i know she's with you every day. she'll be there for you when you need her. thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you saw a butterfly after talking about her. I don't believe in coincidence either. She definitely was letting you know she's still here. And if you don't see a butterfly every day, that's OK. She'll send one your way when she knows you need it the most. <3

    I know I can't fully comprehend what you're dealing with, but I do understand anxiety and the need for meds. Don't be ashamed if you have to go back on them. I'm always here if you need to chat/cry/yell anything. Love you friend.

    ReplyDelete



Growing, Laughing, and Loving in Life

Wife, Momma, Family person, HS Teacher, Baker, Crafter, Half-Marathoner

Blog Archives


Fabulous Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs

Growing, Laughing and Loving in Life...

One woman's journey into Motherhood, Domesticity and Teaching with occasional ramblings on food, family and this beautiful life.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved