Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Housewife galore

First off, I never thought I'd get married. I just never thought I would meet the one. I met hubs when I was 16, but I'll save that for another blog post.

I dated other people in between hubsand I dating/breaking up. I thought that life was full of just trying to find the one. I didn't know I'd already met him.

I grew up in a home where my Mom did the house cleaning, my Dad did the grocery shopping, my Mom fixed things around the house, my Dad did the negotiating, my Mom did the cooking, etc.,

I learned that women can have it all, by both of my parents telling me and showing me that. I saw my Mom cook dinner for everyone, and serve my Dad first. I saw my Mom doing the laundry, clean the house, etc., I thought that was a woman's role in the home.

When hubs and I got married, he knew what he was getting into. After all, he'd already known me 11 years! Hubs however, comes from a background where the woman is supposed to take care of the household. He is Bolivian, and they love life!

Hubs' Mom would make dishes that were tasty, but not something I could easily copy. I was able to cook dinner from scratch only a handful of times when we got married. One reason was because I was pregnant and I had body pains. Secondly, I love baking. After all, besides being a Teacher, I'm also a Baker. (I have my own bakery!) Cooking therefore, is not my forte.

I kept telling hubs during the pregnancy that I would cook more when I wasn't pregnant. The delivery though, ended up being so painful, that I could barely walk for six weeks!! (not normal!!!!)

Hubs would regularly cook us dinner when we didn't have dinner being brought to us. Or if I was able to, I'd warm up some type of t.v. dinner we had in the back of the freezer. I felt horrible, but what could I do. I was exhausted, in excruciating pain, yet still wanted to take care of my husband.

That's why I decided to make some resolutions. Normally, I don't make resolutions because I feel like a person can make a change any time of the year; it doesn't need to literally be a new year for someone to start a new healthy habit.

I however, made a resolution to start cooking dinner, from scratch, at least once a week. I'm not betty crocker, I'm no martha stewart, rachel ray, emeril, etc.,

I'm just a Mommy of a 3.5 month old, trying to make my family life just a little bit better, one piece at a time.

So, as the second week of the year, I made a dish. Chicken with caramelized onions on top of whole grain rice with veggies on the side. It was DELISH! I'm so so so proud of myself, and although hubs expects extremely tasty food because he's used to that, he said the food tasted good. Win!

I kept thinking I should take pictures, but decided against it. It was my first cooked meal of the year. My dinner the first week of the year was a pasta/chicken dish, but not from scratch.

I always keep the house clean and presentable. In fact, hubs just took his clothes out of the dryer for the second time in a year. I try to have him be relaxed when he gets home from work, although I know taking care of a baby and trying to help me relax when he gets home causes him some stress too. He's wonderful. I'm lucky.

I'm trying to be a fantastic housewife in addition to being a great stay-at-home Mom. It's all so new to me. I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing, but I'm trying to be the best at what I am.

This is a start, folks. :)

My other resolutions will be in another blog post.

I hope you're sticking to your resolutions!

xo

0 comments:

Post a Comment



Growing, Laughing, and Loving in Life

Wife, Momma, Family person, HS Teacher, Baker, Crafter, Half-Marathoner

Blog Archives


Fabulous Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs

Growing, Laughing and Loving in Life...

One woman's journey into Motherhood, Domesticity and Teaching with occasional ramblings on food, family and this beautiful life.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved