Sunday, September 11, 2011

We Remember

September 11th.

I could write quite the personal story about today.

About how, being 10 minutes from Washington DC, we thought we were all going to die.

About how my Mom could smell burning flesh while police hurriedly ushered cars out of the city.

How every bridge out of the city was thought to be bombed/rigged with explosives.

How my Uncle was in one of the smaller WTC buildings and lost over 600 employees of his company. How he walked over 63 blocks with his closest NYC friends (complete strangers) to safety and we couldn't get a hold of him.

How phones lines were out. Gone. All circuit boards were busy and not a single call would go through.

How fighter jets were flying over our area within 20 minutes of the attacks.

How my best friend told me to come look at the tv, before we headed to our first class of the day at 9:30 am. We were sophomores in college.

How my sister said, "this is History, you'll be teaching about this in your classes some day."

How my Dad was to be on a flight from Charlotte to DC to meet with an ambassador in E5, in his office in the Pentagon where the plane hit. My Dad missed his flight, for the second time in his life, because his first meeting went over.

We couldn't get a hold of my Dad. No emails were being picked up. No calls would go through. We thought my Dad had made his flight and was in the Pentagon.

It was a waiting game. My Dad called home at 10:20 pm, the first time calls were starting to go through. I waited patiently for my Mom to finish her conversation with my Dad. I picked up the phone, heard my Dad say, "hi sweetie, I'm okay."

I fell to the floor. Sobbing.

Completely and utterly relieved my Dad was okay.

But sobbing uncontrollably.

We heard from my aunt a little bit later that my Uncle was okay.

It was a beautiful Tuesday morning that turned into one of the darkest days in American history.

This is a day where we all have our stories. We all have our emotions.

And we are all Americans.

Remembering those who lost their lives, those that serve our great country, past, present and future, and those that risk their lives as first responders of any kind.

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

xo

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like such a terrifying day for you. I'm glad your dad and uncle were okay!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow i'm teary eyed just reading your terrifiying day! I'm so glad to hear of your family being safe. I always pray for those who were not so fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was right outside of DC the day of the attacks, I was a freshman at the University of Maryland. My parents neighbor worked at the Pentagon and it took his family hours to get a hold of him, but he was okay. My freshman roommate's brother also worked at the Pentagon, but he wasn't as lucky. :(

    I am glad your dad and uncle were okay. I hope we never have to relive that day again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete



Growing, Laughing, and Loving in Life

Wife, Momma, Family person, HS Teacher, Baker, Crafter, Half-Marathoner

Blog Archives


Fabulous Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs

Growing, Laughing and Loving in Life...

One woman's journey into Motherhood, Domesticity and Teaching with occasional ramblings on food, family and this beautiful life.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved