One resolution I think it's fabulous for people to have?
Going to the gym.
One resolution I hate dealing with that other people have?
Going to the gym.
I joined a gym in August of 2009 and haven't looked back. Working out is one of my passions and now that I'm training for a half marathon, my exercising has changed. I take less group classes, for example, and am on the treadmill more now.
You know, in training mode.
But, I experienced an onslaught of gym newbies in January 2010 and then again, in January 2011.
I'm all for people working out to be healthy. I love seeing people meet their goals and feel good about themselves.
It's great. Really!
What's not great? Having to wait thirty.freaking.minutes. to use a treadmill because every person in a 50 mile radius decided to join the gym as a resolution.
Or being in the farthest back spot in class because every person who likes to lift weights decided to come to the 5:30 class on what's an ordinarily slow day.
The resolutioners, as I call them, come out of nowhere. Those of us who are regulars?
We end up waiting.
And waiting.
And waiting.
For an elliptical. Or row machine. Or treadmill.
Or some free weights. Or benches. Or, or...
Anything that permits exercise.
But then, as suddenly as the crowds appear, they start to disappear.
The people lose hope. They lose focus of the end goal because they can't see passed the short-term results.
All of this happens by mid-February, from what I've seen.
And as sad as I get that I have to wait for what seems like for.ev.errr to get a machine, I'm even sadder that people get discouraged so quickly.
If your resolution is to work out at the gym, then go!
I'd rather wait for a machine and see your face beam with pride over the miles you just ran on the treadmill, than not see your beautiful face at all.
So, come work out with me. We'll see our goals being met together.


I love that you're supportive even though it's an inconvenience to you. :)
ReplyDeleteThis is why I'm glad I run outside and Michael bought that used elliptical! haha! I'm also hoping to start using my Jillian videos again ;)
ReplyDeleteI love this! You see so many not so nice posts and comments in January of every year about the gym newbies. Everyone has to start somewhere. Kudos to you!!!
ReplyDelete