Hi! I'm SEL! I'm a Mom too!
Hi! I want to talk to adults during the day, too. Want to be my friend?
Hi! I have a kid! We're fun! Invite us to playdates?
No. No. And No.
Since I never knew what to say, I never went out. Thus never making Mom friends in the neighborhood.
Fast forward five months, to two days ago. It was beautiful out, so M and I went for a drive around the block.

Then, for the first time, we went to the park in our neighborhood. A Mom I often see walking with her two kids was there, the littlest on the swings.
As soon as M and I walked up, she said, "Hi! Another Mom! How are you?"
Woah. I didn't even have to worry about introducing myself.
The Mom was so nice! And her youngest is only four days older than M!
She invited me to the weekly playdates.
My first Mom friends outside of my "friends"!
Now here's the awkward part.
I took M out in her pj's, although she was wearing sneakers and a winter coat. (in my defense, I thought we were just going to go get the mail. I had never taken M out in her pj's before this. And obviously never will again.)
She had just eaten lunch but kept saying, "outside! outside!" and so, we went.
I was wearing sweats with a Mom ponytail. As in, it was 2:30 pm when we went out, and I hadn't fixed my hair since I woke up at 6:30 am.
And? I hadn't showered yet.
The best part? I didn't realize until we were back from the park at 5 pm that M still had lunch on her face. I looked at her while I was taking her jacket off and said, "Wait. Is that food on your face?! Really!?"
I obviously missed wiping her lunch off her cheek. Mom fail.
So, beyond me being mortified from the above, I'm super excited to start having neighborhood Mom friends and for M to play with kids her age.
A new chapter begins.


Haha I loved this post. I'm not a Mom...but after picking up and moving to Florida literally a few hours after my last college final, I had to do the 'hey, I'm cool, wanna be my friend?' thing more than a few times. ha ha.
ReplyDeleteSo exciting! Mom friends are the best!!
ReplyDeletethat will be so much fun for you to go to playdates with the other neighborhood moms! I wish more in our neighborhood had kids.
ReplyDeleteYay! Glad you got invited to be "in the group" :) You can wash M's face and fix your hair when you go on the playdate ;)
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your first "mom friend" I always feel like that too... "come to this park often?"
ReplyDeleteaw, the fun of mommy dating.