Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Wreck

I first went to Potbelly's, the deli sandwich Mecca, in 2003. I'd metro into DC and meet up with my sister and Mom for lunch.

Without really reading the ingredients, I ordered The Wreck. It's an amazeballs sandwich, that has ham. As in, pork. As in, I'm not supposed to eat it.

I didn't realize the ingredients until my third time into the city. I was already driving in, on the wonderful beltway, when I called my sis and said, "Potbelly's, right?" The rest of the conversation went like this:

My sis: umm, maybe we should go somewhere else...
Me: what? Blasphemy! we love Potbelly's! What happened?!
My sis: the sandwich you always get, SEL? It has ham.

Cue panic. Sadness. Tears.

I was so in shock I hung up on my sister. (sorry, sissy!)

I don't remember where we went for lunch that day. I just remember we didn't go to Potbelly's.

The Wreck? It was, and still is, one of the best sandwiches, aside from my Mom's, that I've ever had. I don't even know why. But it was.

So I told hubs all about the infamous sandwich. After years and years, we finally went on Saturday.

Take a WILD guess what hubs ordered?

You guessed it.

A Wreck.

The beloved sandwich I hadn't seen in years.

And? Hubs loved it. Like, was saying in between bites, "my first time here.."
CHOMP CHOMP, "and they nailed it out of the park!" CHOMP CHOMP. "This sandwich is soooo good!" CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP. "Wow. I've been missing out."

CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP.

I smiled through gritted teeth.

Then I took a bite out of my roast beef sandwich. And it was really good. Fantastic, actually. And my sandwich was on whole wheat bread. As a side, I had baked harvest cheddar chips.

And hubs' sandwich was on white, with bbq chips on the side.

So while I was initially sad I was missing out on a sandwich I still salivated over, I just hoped the extra calories went straight to hubs' hips.

And, that mean thought? Made me feel better.

And made hubs laugh.

In between his bites of deliciousness.

3 comments:

  1. We had potbellys at Purdue (where I went to school). So, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... not sure I could give up ham and bacon. Proud of you, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for not giving in and getting the sandwich again!

    ReplyDelete



Growing, Laughing, and Loving in Life

Wife, Momma, Family person, HS Teacher, Baker, Crafter, Half-Marathoner

Blog Archives


Fabulous Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs

Growing, Laughing and Loving in Life...

One woman's journey into Motherhood, Domesticity and Teaching with occasional ramblings on food, family and this beautiful life.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved