Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Failure. It hurts.

I had this whole elaborate plan in my head of how my 10 mile run would go.

I'd do it, be so happy I did, see the look in hubs' face of pride, see M's smiling face as I got closer and closer...

Then we'd go to subway again and I'd stuff my face with yummy goodness.

But, G-d had other plans for me.

At mile 1, my shins started hurting me as bad as the previous run when I suddenly collapsed from knee pain.

At mile 3.25, I HAD to sit down. (which I've never had to do before) I had this bright idea to try a few more miles.

HA!

HAHAHAAHAHAAAAAAAA.

HAHAAHAAA.

I got .25 down the road and fell down, yet again, from the pain.

I was keeled over, grabbing my knee.

Something is wrong with my knee.

Obviously.

I was going back and forth a million times over, on if I should write this post. I mean, who wants to read about someone failing? I sure don't.

Because, the past two days? I've felt like a failure. But, I married my best friend and, he happened to know just what to say. Every single thing he said was what I needed to hear. Not wanted to hear, per se, but needed.

The Husband reminded me that finishing my run on Sunday is not as important as finishing the half-marathon run.

And that coming up shorter on miles is okay. Because I'm taking care of myself now so that I can do longer runs later.

And, despite me feeling like a failure because I physically could not meet my running goal for the first time since I started training, I'm not in fact a failure. Because, failure is never trying.

And I've certainly tried.

I know that I could have done the 10 miles. That's double digits! I wasn't nervous AT ALL! I was so excited!!!

But, my body wouldn't let me. I in fact, could not do 10 miles.

And that made me feel like a failure. And made me sad. But The Husband cheered my soul up with his words.

Then someone retweeted Joel Osteen on twitter Monday morning:

God would not have put that dream in your heart if He had not already given you everything you need to fulfill it.


And so, I made an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for this week. He'll hopefully tell me I'll be able to run my first half marathon in 18 days.

Because, with G-d on my side, I'll be alright.


4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you had a tough time and I hope everything will be fine!!! There are definitely bumps in the road and bad runs, but you really are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there - sorry that was so tough. Thank goodness for your hubby. What would we do without them?

    Admitting your failures will only make you stronger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, what a bummer. Physical limitations are so frustrating.

    I love that Joel Osteen quote though and completely agree!!! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know that I hurt my knee on week one day one of C25K, right? And I completely gave up. Kudos to you for hangin' in, sister.

    ReplyDelete



Growing, Laughing, and Loving in Life

Wife, Momma, Family person, HS Teacher, Baker, Crafter, Half-Marathoner

Blog Archives


Fabulous Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs

Growing, Laughing and Loving in Life...

One woman's journey into Motherhood, Domesticity and Teaching with occasional ramblings on food, family and this beautiful life.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved