Friday, June 8, 2012

She ate ... WHAT?

We are fortunate enough that there are fifty bajillion about a dozen "regulars" (as in kids) that come out and play together in our neighborhood. The Moms all relax chat sit around mostly stay in spot and the kids run around the commons area/park in our neighborhood. The kids are all around the same age. So, It's really quite lovely.

Today, M didn't nap (although she rested her head on my lap one time at around 3:15) and we spent the majority of the day outside. (as in, from 9am until 7pm, we were inside a total of 1 hour).

We played just the two of us this morning. During the early afternoon/evening hours, kids and their Mom's were out.

And, as M is a social butterfly, she runs up to everyone and says, "hi friends!"

Seriously. It's the cutest thing ever.

Tonight was no different. M is making her rounds amongst her friends, and she goes onto a big deck that is part of the common area.

No big deal. She goes up on it and sits/runs/walks/draws on it on a daily basis.

She's a pro.

Except this time, The Husband and I were distracted. One of my favorite Mom's and her husband was outside with us, their two little girls playing with M.

Hubs walked over to M while she was on the deck and sat next to her. I said something, we all laughed, and the next thing you know, I hear it.

"Noooo!! What are you eating??"

I look up from blowing bubbles and I hear The Husband (as in mine, not the other guy out with us), saying "Don't bite me, okay? What's in your mouth?" as I see him fishing around in her mouth.

And what comes out of my precious little girl's mouth?

Dirt.

A clump of nasty black dirt.

So.gross.

The Husband states, "She ate dirt..."

Me: SHE ATE WHAT?!?!

I'm shocked. My child put dirt in her mouth? I thought other kids did that? not mine!

And, I thought only boys did that?

I start thinking about how now I'm that Mom who let their kid eat dirt.

My Mom friend quickly responded with, "oh don't worry! Both of our kids have eaten dirt! It's fine!"

To which my lovely husband adds, "And it makes their immune system stronger!"

To which the OTHER husband furiously shakes his head in agreement.

Men.

As we gather our precious dirt eating child from her bath and bring her to bed, I hear The Husband say in a very delicate voice, "M will be okay right? After eating the dirt?"

And I fell in love with him a little more for being so... cute? Sweet? Vulnerable?

And I may have fallen in love even more with my kid. After all, that's all she's being.

2 comments:

  1. Your neighborhood sounds like mine when my kids were little. It was a busy neighborhood...now no one is out. They are all in high school or college. Enjoy this time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure all kids eat dirt at some point. :) I love that she says hi friends!!! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete



Growing, Laughing, and Loving in Life

Wife, Momma, Family person, HS Teacher, Baker, Crafter, Half-Marathoner

Blog Archives


Fabulous Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs

Growing, Laughing and Loving in Life...

One woman's journey into Motherhood, Domesticity and Teaching with occasional ramblings on food, family and this beautiful life.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved