Friday, January 25, 2013

My Defining Moment

A baby is something you carry inside you for nine months, in your arms for three years, and in your heart until the day you die. ~Attributed to Mary Mason



I was going to the gym everyday, for two hours each time.

I had a four-pack, could do a few minutes worth of planks at a time, did a three hour workout competition at the gym just the weekend before. (That I totally kicked ass at, by the way. I ran over 2 miles, did over 300 push-ups, lifted 50 lbs worth of weights for an hour straight, did lunges, squats, man push-ups, etc.)

The Husband and I were arguing here and there, but were for the most part, getting along.

One of my good guy friends was a personal trainer at the time, and said he'd meet me at the gym because I wanted that last kick in the rear to get a six-pack. I was a size six, and for the first time in my life, the backs of my thighs and my butt filled out my jeans more than my tummy. (Ha.)

During the personal training workout, I started feeling queasy. Not normal for me, but I was pushing myself, so I thought maybe I was dehydrated.

I had just been with The Husband prior to the workout, and I knew he was going out to play basketball with the guys while I worked out.

So, as I left the gym, with a light drizzle coming down, I called my sister and told her about the queasiness.

Her first response? "You're pregnant!"

To which I laughed.

A LOT.

I mean, for someone who didn't want kids, I'd think that'd be the first response usually.

My sister asked if I had other symptoms. We chatted some more. I called The Husband but he didn't answer.

So for some reason, I went to the drugstore and bought a few pregnancy tests.

A just-in-cas-I'm-pregnant-even-though-I-know-I'm-not errand.

I got home and at around 10 pm, I took the electronic test.

PREGNANT.

It appeared before I was even done peeing on the stick.

I sat silently, realizing my life was forever changed.

I eventually called my sister and told her. She and my brother in law were ecstatic for me.

But in my head? I had no idea what was going on. A baby? I don't know how to be a mother. I take care of my two dogs, sure. But a baby!?!? I thought, "I don't have a motherly bone in my body."

I waited until the next morning to take the second test. Perhaps the first one was wrong...

I barely even touched the second test and it was positive.

I waited until the following day, two days after I initially found out, to tell The Husband that I was pregnant.

But that initial test, on the night of January 25th, 2010? Exactly three years ago today? That was my defining moment. That's the moment I became who I currently am.

It made me realize that my purpose on G-d's green Earth goes far beyond what I ever could've imagined.

And thank you, G-d, for these blessings.

15 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful. I think we all remember that first time....and by the way, amazing workout regimen! Holy smokes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story!! So funny. What a great moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet story! Thanks for sharing. I'm your latest follower from the Aloha Friday blog hop.
    Emma
    www.cocktailsatnaptime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! do you still work out at all? I have never been in that good of shape. I bet pregnancy was easy for you being so fit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow happy preggo anniversary lol that's a great story. I think every woman will remember that moment in their life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun story. We found out H was coming on January 25th, 2010, too! It was a much different circumstance, but the same day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it. :) Babies change everything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sweet! I didn't tell John right away either. I told my parents and my sister and told them to ask surprised when I told them again later. I surprised John with a baby Bengals jersey at dinner. He lost his appetite after that. We were both happy but scared to death.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great. You are a great mom to M and will be a great mom to baby #2!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by, following back :) Can't wait to get to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great story! Scariest thing finding out your pregnant, but a miracle too.

    ReplyDelete



Growing, Laughing, and Loving in Life

Wife, Momma, Family person, HS Teacher, Baker, Crafter, Half-Marathoner

Blog Archives


Fabulous Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs

Growing, Laughing and Loving in Life...

One woman's journey into Motherhood, Domesticity and Teaching with occasional ramblings on food, family and this beautiful life.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved