Thursday, June 20, 2013

A Continuation of The Bullies

My mind and heart are not on the same page today.

Since I became a Mom in September of 2010, I have tried to handle almost every single situation in the best way possible. I try to think of what is best for my daughter, for my husband, for my family.

I was raised in a home where, if you were wrong for something, you were expected to say sorry. Hitting someone was never an option and at a very young age, I learned that the way to have friends and people surround you was to be nice. So, my siblings and I tried to be nice to everyone and because of that, our childhood home was always full of friends and laughter. Our parents being super nice and courteous to others helped, too.

I have learned though, that other people, specifically parents in this case, don't share the same mentality as me. And my siblings. And my parents.

And a lot of times, that's okay. Diversity and different thoughts can be good, usually. It brings change and positive outcomes.

But in this case, a difference of ideas is not a good thing. Because when the welfare of any child, and again, in this case, my child, is in jeopardy, a parent must do what they believe to be the best course of action...

You see, we have bullies in our neighborhood. I've spoken of these two kids before. It was this post that let me share my feelings on the subject. I got some great advice and kept an even closer eye on M when we were outside at the same time as the bully kids.

But, as a Mom, I recognize that I also have to let M learn how to assert herself, how to stick up for herself using her words. I can't fight every battle for her, although the Lord knows I would if I could. I understand that would be detrimental for her, and although it's hard to accept, it's the way life is. I won't always be around her, I won't always be close enough to protect her from life's sometimes unfair situations.

If I am around though, I will not be a bystander to any injustice I see. And as with any Mom, especially when it comes to our children.

Last Wednesday was one of the hardest, yet most satisfying days, of motherhood that I have had.

Hardest because I witnessed a bully, the same boy from the post I linked above, try to hurt my child.

Most satisfying because I stuck up for my child, and without saying, "Your child is a bully!", let the mother know her child was wrong for what he did and sticking up for his poor behavior only excused his actions.

Most satisfying day again, because I know my child will not be a bully. I know that my husband and I are raising her to be a fantastic human being that has the purest heart of any person I've ever met. M is inately an extraordinarily sweet and gentle person. She has never hit anyone, shown physical (or verbal aggression) or been mean to a single soul on this planet.

How some mothers try to justify their childs behavior when it is evident that their child is in the wrong is beyond my comprehension. And although the Mom had her son make M a little card that says, "sorry" on it, I don't believe she will start rectifying her two kids' horrible habits of picking on M.

And that is what doing more harm to your children than helping is all about.

6 comments:

  1. I cannot stand when parents try to justify their kids actions when they are doing things even close to bullying. I don't get it. I've seen it happen way too often.
    I also cannot stand the phrase "they're just jealous of you". No, maybe they actually don't like you at all, ever think of that? Ever think your child is just a rude and obnoxious kid, that even other kids just can't stand (usually, her).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you S, you are such a great mom, and such a great person.

    The hard part is, even when those kids grow in to full grown adults, it won't change. I see way to much "bullying" in adults these days, which is sooo soo scary for our kids.

    If you have Netflix, watch the show Bully. You will probably cry through the entire thing but it seriously needs to be seen by every child and adult on this planet.

    That is one thing I will never stand for, and I hope one day I have as much self control and be a wonderful mother such as you! love you and your life tips, you are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to hear the story and what you said to the mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really hoping when you move you will not have to deal with those kids any more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would never allow or excuse Emily if she ever bullied another kid but I think she is more likely to be bullied herself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! Your daughter obviously has a great example of respect and love in the home. I hope that child learns sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete



Growing, Laughing, and Loving in Life

Wife, Momma, Family person, HS Teacher, Baker, Crafter, Half-Marathoner

Blog Archives


Fabulous Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs

Growing, Laughing and Loving in Life...

One woman's journey into Motherhood, Domesticity and Teaching with occasional ramblings on food, family and this beautiful life.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved