Wednesday, June 5, 2013

You Know You're A SAHM When...

I feel like other stay-at-home-moms, and working moms, agree with me that parenting is the best job ever.

I mean, those random hugs and kisses you get throughout the day? Blissful.

The pictures your kid draws for you because, "Here Momma, you're my bestest friend!" Are the best. Even if the picture is occasionally on the wall...

And the times that you get to just stare at this precious life you created because they're actually sitting in one spot long enough to not be a random blip on the radar? Delightful. Because, I think we can all agree we think we have the cutest, most beautiful, smartest kid that ever did exist. AmIright or AmIright?

Sometimes though, my mind wanders back to when I was teaching and think, "Wow has my life has changed. From teaching my favorite subject to spending time with my very own mini-me, day in and day out. I'm ridiculously lucky, but I'm tired. Everyday."

And that's when I did it. I compiled a mental list of things that make me think, "You Know You're A Stay At Home Mom When..."

Forgive me if I didn't add obvious answers here. I swear I've lost brain cells since being pregnant. (And, I totally get that a lot of this applies to working moms too)

You Know You're A Stay At Home Mom When...
  • yoga pants are acceptable daily attire. And when they're not acceptable daily attire? You wear them anyway, just making sure you're wearing a clean pair
  • you can't remember the last time you had a conversation with another adult that's not in your family
  • you sleep less now than you did when you had a job outside of the home
  • you clean the house for several hours and upon later inspection, it looks like you didn't clean at all
  • your kid still took naps, you planned running errands for that time because sometimes, it was just easier that way
  • it's easier to combine your purse and diaper bag into one. The less bags to haul around, the better
  • you've memorized lines to your kids favorite books because you read them during the day. and afternoon. and at bedtime.
  • you can't remember the last time you went potty by yourself
  • you don't even use the word "restroom" or "bathroom" anymore, but rather "potty"
  • you can't remember the last time you went out by yourself
  • but the last time you did go out by yourself and saw an empty car seat? you thought you forgot the kid in the store. or at home. and you may have had a minor heart attack. or major one. it's still up for debate
  • you have work to do on the computer but you'd rather peruse sales for the kids. Their stuff is cuter anyway
  • taking a shower is considered winning the lottery


  • brushing your teeth (putting deodorant on is a bonus!) before The Husband gets home some days makes you feel like a new woman
  • your own lunch is served on a princess plate
  • you've felt the intense pressure of maintaining the home, having a warm dinner on the table, freshly bathed kid(s), folded and put away laundry all at the exact same moment
  • you realize none of the above is usually possible. and you've come to terms with it
  • you've wanted to face punch someone for saying, "Oh, you're just a stay at home mom?"


  • you've heard someone say, "I'm jealous you just stay home all day and hang out in your jammies!" This comment is usually followed with an intense glare and you walking away quickly before you say/do something in all sahm's honor
  • you've forgone a warm meal so that your child can be cuddled
  • you don't exactly remember what a warm meal is
  • play dates are sometimes more stressful than fun, even though they give your kid something to do outside of the house
  • you never get a day off from your "job"
  • you've perfected holding the baby while cooking. or cleaning. or brushing your teeth.
  • you understand that some women have to work outside of the home, and your heart aches for those women that would rather be home with their babes
  • you know you'd rather be home with your kid than anywhere else. Except maybe the beach. As long as The Husband is the one that watches the kids at the beach so you can just lay there and relax. That sounds fabulous.

8 comments:

  1. I am so jealous of you, and I hope that life works out in a way for us that I can be a stay at home mom!

    P.s. I love the yoga pants rule, is it okay if I steal it without having a child?

    luhh you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is the hardest job out there. I don't know if I could handle it myself, so I applaud you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. M is so lucky to have you as a mama! <3

    I hope to be a SAHM one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bahahahahahahahaha! Love this! WAHMs are included in this. If I may:
    You know you're a WAHM when you can only work when your kid naps, watches Elmo, or goes to bed because he will try to "help" you by smacking the keyboard.
    Ps so true about going out by yourself and having a panic attack with the empty seat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is priceless. I want to be a SAHM one day. And it is so not happening. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL..LOVE this post! I'm a SAHM, I can relate to all of this. One more thing, your "ME" is when you take a shower. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol I had to read this to my husband

    ReplyDelete



Growing, Laughing, and Loving in Life

Wife, Momma, Family person, HS Teacher, Baker, Crafter, Half-Marathoner

Blog Archives


Fabulous Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs

Growing, Laughing and Loving in Life...

One woman's journey into Motherhood, Domesticity and Teaching with occasional ramblings on food, family and this beautiful life.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved