We want to get in and get out of the store. We have a schedule to stick to, or we're running late, or we just like to move move move along.
I get it. I do.
But I also know we've all realized at some point or another that not everyone moves at the pace we do.
I happen to be a slow{er} walker. The Husband has slowed down his stride tremendously over the years so he can walk hand in hand with me. My Mom used to allot more time in her day when it was Take Your Daughter To Work Day at the Pentagon because I made (and still make) snails look like speed walkers.
And then when I'm pregnant? Slow is my middle name.
But after the enormous stress from the past week, both mental, emotional and physical, on top of moving to the new house and moving a little more than I probably should be, I'm moving at the pace of molasses.
And my body hurts. A lot.
But on Saturday, M and I went to Costco to pick up a few things. We had just paid and were walking towards the exit. I guess I wasn't walking fast enough because as a woman walked by me, she said rather loudly, "Jesus Christ!!!" in total exasperation and gave me the most disgusted look, while looking me up and down.
I immediately had tears in my eyes and mustered up the energy to say back, through a cracked voice, "Have some patience!"
I then, near the Costco food court, started crying. Tears streaming down my face because I was just yelled at for moving too slowly when my body is still reeling in every way from the passing of my second daughter.
M, my purely innocent, happy, sweet M, looked at me and said, "Momma, are you crying because that lady yelled at you? Don't cry! I love you!!" and extended her arms out to give me a big hug.
I, of course, hugged my wonderful daughter and felt better.
But I wonder: if I was still visibly pregnant (will that ever not hurt to say?!) would my slow pace have been more acceptable? Would the mean lady still have made her rude comment? And, why can't a person just walk a little slower? Why do I have to walk at that woman's pace in order to escape her wrath and not receive a look of disgust and anger?
There's a quote I read a long time ago, and for me, it seems more poignant than ever.
This lady doesn't know my story. She doesn't know that just 12 long and tear filled days ago, I endured the worst heartache a person can suffer. This lady doesn't know that my body, which is moving too slowly for her, is hurting or aching or cramping at most times of the day. This lady doesn't know that I'm fighting a battle of trying to remain calm amidst a new norm I've been unwillingly thrust into.
And because this lady doesn't know my story, my pain, my battle, perhaps she could be more patient. Or more kind with her words.
Because the way she made me feel, just to get out of Costco just three seconds sooner? Wasn't worth it.
So be patient and kind to one another. Everyone is battling something.
Love heals. I believe that. I have to.



This is an awesome reminder. I have a daughter that is a dawdler and when I feel myself getting upset at her pace I try to remains myself to just relax. IRS not worth yelling at her to get anywhere 3 seconds faster. Shame on that lady for her impatience and I can only hope she felt apologetic when you responded. My heart goes out to you and your family.
ReplyDeleteThis post got me teary eyed. I really try to remember this whenever something (someone) is bugging me. I'm glad sweet M was there to make you feel better!!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry this happened to you. :(
ReplyDeleteAlso, on a semi-related note - I had no clue your Mom worked at the Pentagon. How cool!!!
That lady was a bitch and I would have slapped her with my pimp hand if I'd been there. And been like "You're gonna need Jesus when I'm done!"
ReplyDeleteNot really, but it's fun to imagine.
Sorry that happened to you my lovely friend. She was probably mad because they ran out of large extra absorbent tampons. And economy size boxes of midol.
M is awesome and she's absolutely right! <3
I'm sorry you had such an awful encounter with rudeness. I have thought a lot about the concept of that quote since losing Joseph, and I try really hard to be compassionate to others now, because i know how much it means to me.
ReplyDeleteI remember the distinction of not being visibly pregnant anymore, too. For a while, I was afraid to leave the house in case people still thought I was pregnant. Now I miss my big belly so much. People still look at my stomach all the time (I'm so self conscious about it!), trying to decide if I'm pregnant yet again or what.
I am so sorry for the loss of your Brielle. Thinking of you today...
Burning Eye
Love you friend! People can be down right ugly.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you had to deal with this inconsiderate bitch while you are still physically healing and emotionally drained. She doesn't know your story but yet she doesn't have an excuse. Love you. Sweet sweet little M.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this reminder. I'm going to carry it with me this week, and I hope you run into kinder hearts for the rest of yours. Love and prayers coming your way!
ReplyDeleteSome people are just jerks. I think the lady was in a hurry (not just then but always is) and just leaves rude comments all over the place. They think life only is lived in a fast paced mode and know nothing else. So, screw her and her remark.
ReplyDeleteAnd you are right, love heals. And you're having all the love you need at the moment. Hugs to you!!!!
I'm sorry you had to be the object of her crappy attitude. I'm proud of you for mustering up your response - although mine wouldn't have been near as nice as yours!
ReplyDeletePatience is a virtue and most people (myself included!) are running short of it. Thanks for the reminder and hope your next encounter with a stranger is nothing but kind!
I hate that that woman said that to you and made you so upset. I try my best to try and be nice to everyone, especially strangers because like you said - you never know what someone is going through. I would hope that my smile, kind remark or gesture would make them feel better NOT worse about their day. Sorry friend :(
ReplyDeleteThis is so true. Kindness is often not granted to strangers but sometimes they're the ones who need it most. So sorry she upset you. I'm sure if she knew you she never would have been so impatient.
ReplyDeleteI'm just now reading about your sweet Brielle and my heart is breaking for you. I know today will be yet another especially hard day for you and your family. Sending prayers your way!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry.
ReplyDelete