Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Yesterday

I went to bed two nights ago with my husband and daughter by my side, absolutely dreading the next day.

No one wants to lay their child to rest.

The only good thing about all the crying and roller coaster of emotions and thoughts with all of this is that by nighttime, you're exhausted. Absolutely three thousand percent zapped of energy and so, by the time your head hits the pillow, you're asleep in a few seconds.

So I slept. The Husband slept. M slept. But yesterday morning, The Husband and I didn't say a lot. To others. Each other. There's just not much to say on the morning of burying your baby.

We showered. Got dressed. Went to the cemetery.

As soon as I saw the tent set up in the Garden of Angels, where Brielle is interred, I started crying.

I can't seem to find the words to express how I felt yesterday. I mean, you're in a cemetery. Most of us have been in one already. It's not our favorite place to be, but we handle it fine..

But when you're in the cemetery for someone close to you? It hurts.

And when it's for your child? The pain is indescribable. Unfathomable.

Unreal.

Because with that little body, in a 22" casket made from a mulberry tree, came hopes and dreams.

That little person who grew inside of me for 36 weeks and 6 days? She was, and is, half of my heart. She was a part of our family, a part of our story, before we even took the pregnancy test.

Brielle didn't get a chance to take a breath of air. She didn't get a chance to know the awesome Daddy she has, or the incredible big sister she has that always talks about going for a ride in her wagon with her "baby sister!!"

And we don't have the opportunity to know how amazing Brielle is. What her favorite color is, her favorite food, her favorite type of music.

We're missing out on so much, all four of us.

The service yesterday was beautiful. It was supposed to thunderstorm yesterday and instead, we had blue skies with some puffy white clouds and lots of sun. My Brielle gave us a beautiful day to celebrate her life.

Family and close friends came to Brielle's service (it just won't ever get easier to type that, I'm sure.. Brielle's service) and each of us dumped some dirt on Brielle's casket. It symbolizes, in my culture, the returning of our loved ones to the earth.

Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust.

I can't believe that my husband and I had to do that. Return our child to the earth.

I don't want to return her. I want Brielle here with me.

It's horrible. It sucks. And I don't wish this on anyone.

After everyone left Brielle's side and returned to their cars, my sister caught me going back to her graveside. (My child has a grave. And commence more tears now.)

I started crying again. And sobbing. I asked, then told Brielle, to wake up. To come back to me.

But she didn't.

Just like when I delivered her and the doctor laid her on my chest.

I was sobbing, begging Brielle to wake up. I was holding her, my innocent baby born without a beating heart, to wake up. To come back to us, her parents and sister that loved her before laying eyes on her.

I just want her back.

My parents hosted everyone at their house after the service and there were trays of deli and fruits and veggies.

Everyone told me to drink water and eat.

How can I eat deli? I'm still supposed to be pregnant for another two weeks. And we all know deli is a no-no while pregnant.

But I ate a few slices of it anyway, because I know Brielle is watching over me, telling me to take care of myself so I can still take care of her big sister and Daddy. I hadn't eaten in almost a day.

Everyone left my parents house, and that's another part I was dreading.

Everyone goes back to their normal, their new routine.

Everyone goes back to their families, their babies, their jobs.

But my husband and I?

We're left with a new "normal" we didn't ask for or want.

We're left with a gaping hole in our heart that will never be filled.

I'm left with a body that's now a shell. My stomach feels empty and I feel like a failure of a woman.

I was supposed to keep my child safe. And somehow, my body failed both Brielle and me.

That's how I feel.

And so yesterday ended the same way it started. Few words, a terribly aching heart and yet extreme gratitude for the healthy and happy daughter I do have with me.

I went to bed last night with a mind that was torturing me. Images of my stillborn daughter flashing through my head. Images of the cemetery and me never getting to hold my baby girl again.

It's torture. And it's only just beginning.

I know today is a new day, but for now, every day is some sort of hell.

Knowing I should still be pregnant yet I'm not.
Knowing I should be feeling aches and pains related to pregnancy and yet I'm dealing with aches and pains related to delivery.
Knowing I should be counting down the days to my due date of July 21st, yet I'm now counting the days since I last felt my sweet child in my belly.
Knowing I should be finishing up Brielle's nursery, yet instead we took her car seat out of the car and moved the bassinet away, because the pain of seeing them empty hurts more than we can bare right now.

Yesterday.

The worst day of my life.

Yet I know a part of every day will be the worst day of my life because Brielle won't be here to enjoy life with us.

And now I have to go through life without my second daughter.

I love you Brielle Elena.

And as I told you yesterday, I miss you terribly.

And I love you.

Please Baby Almond. Come back to us.

19 comments:

  1. My heart is hurting so terribly for you, your husband and your sweet little M. And of course Baby B. I wish I could take some of your pain away. Sending hugs, my sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cried reading this, pictured you crying as you typed it. I want her back for you. But she is happy now, in heaven. And I'm sure if she could, she would tell you that. Still praying for you and sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too wish I could take some of your pain away...tears are streaming down my face and I feel for you. Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart just aches for you. I wish there was something I could do to take away your pain. I'm so so sorry you are having to go through this. Continuing to pray for your family & sending hugs. Lots of love sweet lady.
    - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could take this away for you. You guys should never have had to go through what you did yesterday. HUGS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Sel. My heart hurts for you. Do the doctors have any explanation why this happened? Of course only if you want to share. I've been praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no words, just tears. I don't know how you are functioning let along blogging. You are so brave. So so brave.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am just so sorry I didn't know any of this. Sarah my heart is broken for you. I so wish there was something I could do. Or could just give you a big hug. I love you friend. You're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still praying, friend. I'm so, so sorry you are going through this. Your blog posts are so brave.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry friend. There really are no more words to say. I hate this for you. I hate your new normal. I am praying for you constantly.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry. It just sucks and it hurts beyond measure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I almost lost it reading this and had to tell myself, you're at work. Don't.
    I seriously wish I could come to you and give you hugs.
    You are definitely strong to be able to even write about any of this. I don't think I could. Maybe it will help with the "healing".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sel, I have no words other than I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how you are feeling but I want you to know that I am lifting you and your family up in prayer. I am praying you find peace and comfort in this most difficult time. I know nothing can fix this but I hope that you know I am thinking of you always and sending you love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so truly sorry I can't even imagine what you must be going through. Keeping you and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know you or your family, but my heart is breaking for you and I'm literally reading this at work and crying. I'm so very sorry for your loss. How unbelievably sad. Giant hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish I could be there with you even though I know nothing I can say will make it hurt less. I'm so sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh i just wish i could give you a hug! i wish there was more i could do...thinking of you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think about you constantly and I'm so sorry for your loss. My fiance's brother passed away this fall and I had only met him a few time/didn't know him well. Your words about going on after the funeral, and everyone returning to their lives reminds me of the same feelings that he and his parents had. Reading this actually made me realize that I have also gone on with my life because I didn't know him very well so I keep going...you've reminded me that I need to be more compassionate and thoughtful about their pain because it's not something they will ever forget and they have to deal with it daily. I know it's not the same and I'm not trying to compare your loss with theirs, but this post is a good reminder to other people of how much pain families are in and how we (the outsiders) need to be thoughtful about what your new "normal" is and how it never really will be normal because it's not the way it should be.

    ReplyDelete



Growing, Laughing, and Loving in Life

Wife, Momma, Family person, HS Teacher, Baker, Crafter, Half-Marathoner

Blog Archives


Fabulous Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs

Growing, Laughing and Loving in Life...

One woman's journey into Motherhood, Domesticity and Teaching with occasional ramblings on food, family and this beautiful life.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved